Why coffee is the secret to sexy winter skin
Two long blacks, piccolo, ¾ café latte and an espresso
This is how the frank body dream team takes their coffee (an all important part of the process of course). A process that has created beauty mania, with what many would deem perhaps the most modest natural ingredient circulating the beauty industry – coffee.
I sat down with Jess Hatzis, a founding member of the frank body team, who shared the unique story that led five individuals to create this delectable body buffing phenomenon, that has us all cray cray for coffee grinds. Along with fellow frank body directors Erika Geraerts and Bree Johnson, Jess was recently co-named the number one female entrepreneur under 40 in Australia (all before the ripe ol age of 30). Not bad for a dream birthed out of the humble coffee bean.
Allow frank to rub you right way this winter
Jess not only tells the unique story behind frank body’s conception (still a wee babe itself, birthed in 2013), she also reveals the secret to not developing scales over the cold winter months (we’ve all been there). Yes it’s cold, yes those usually silky-smooth legs are covered up in jeans and dare I say the occasional skin-coloured stocking (my personal guilty winter pleasure). BUT there’s no reason our bods can’t exude the satin-softness of summer – with a few tips from our friend frank that is! Here’s what Jess shared with The Juice Daily.
Did frank body really begin with two women asking for coffee grinds in a café?
Yes, in conjunction with a series of fortunate (and caffeinated) events. We were five friends who had been looking to work together on a project, with interests across brand, social and e-commerce.
Steve Rowley (a founding member) was working in one of his cafés, when two women came and asked for the leftover coffee grinds. He assumed it was for their gardens, but later discovered they were using it to exfoliate their skin to target stretch marks and cellulite. We did some research and noticed there wasn’t a product like this in the market and began to develop the formula for the Original Coffee Scrub.
Erika, Bree and myself looked after the brand – developing the name and marketing strategy, while Alex Boffa looked after e-commerce and managed the logistics with Steve.
We all had other employment and side projects when we started frank body, but it grew quicker than any of us could have ever imagined. Testament to a great product, we like to think.
What are some keys to kicking #girlboss butt?
- Coffee, but only one a day with breakfast.
- Learn when to say no. Carve out time for yourself and be steadfast about keeping it. You need ‘you’ time: spend an hour for the gym, watch your favourite TV show, enjoy a walk or read a book.
- Do whatever it is that keeps you sane, and then work like a maniac for the rest of the day.
- Try not to look at screens at least 30 minutes before going to bed. In an ideal world this would be an hour, keep trying.
Why natural-based skincare?
The simple version: we spend so much time worrying about what we put in our body, we should do the same with what we put on our body. It’s important to know what you’re putting on your skin. There’s nothing wrong with some synthetic ingredients, so I don’t think it’s as simple as grouping things into good and bad, but rather educating yourself.
What makes your star ingredient, the humble coffee bean so effective?
The Robusta beans we use in the scrubs are super high in caffeine, that’s what makes them so effective.
- Caffeine stimulates blood flow, which helps reduce the appearance of cellulite, stretch marks, psoriasis, eczema and other pesky skin conditions.
- Coffee has the same pH as your skin, which means it won’t damage or dry out the skin like other ingredients.
- Coffee is bursting with antioxidants, which target damaging free radicals – the culprit of many problematic skin conditions.
How can frank babes achieve a smooth, bikini-ready booty?
Moderation is key to maintaining a healthy routine. The moral here is to look after yourself, and don’t deprive yourself of the things that make you happy.
Treat yo’self babe with dry body brushing, great to flush toxins and promote healthy skin.
Massage those cheeks a good with our Coffee Scrub http://au.frankbody.com/products/cacao-coffee-scrub, this will aid the breakdown of fat that gives cellulite its dimply appearance. Dedication and patience are paramount: massage in upward strokes for a few minutes on each leg, and leave the scrub on for 10 minutes before rinsing.
Scrub before you apply fake tan for an even base, and also when your tan goes patchy for a flawless finish.
Greens are your friend. Love them and they’ll love you.
Unwind the mind and body with yoga or a long walk. Stress = breakouts.
HIIT to get your heart rate up. Sweat = flushing out toxins.
Read a good book. Learn something. When you feel good on the inside it shows on the outside.
Sleep, it’s called beauty sleep for a reason.
Eat whole, unprocessed foods and stay hydrated with at least two litres of pure water daily.
Cut down on salt and sugar. Note that I said cut down, not cut out.
Consume Olive Leaf Extract and Vitamin C to ward off winter colds.
What are your top tips for glowing winter skin?
- ALWAYS wear sunscreen. On your face. Even in winter. You’ll thank me in ten years.
- Lather up with our Body Cream every night before bed, and every morning after you shower.
- Exfoliate your complexion with our Creamy Face Scrub a few times a week to help remove dry skin.
- Drink water! You’ll notice it under your eyes and in your complexion overall.
- Less is more: try a light tinted base, bronzer, mascara and lip balm. The end.
- Change your pillowcase twice a week and wipe down your phone.
- Wash your make-up brushes often. Boring, but trust me, it helps.
- Double Cleanse your face in the evenings if you’re wearing make-up, and always moisturise your skin.
- Listen to a TED Talk while you’re getting ready. Seriously, think of how much idle time you spend in the bathroom and what you could be learning in that time.
- Love your winter bod with some guilt-free Cookies and Cream.
What words of wisdom would you give budding entrepreneurs?
There are two pieces of advice I like to give people:
- It’s nice to have money and the things money can buy, but it’s also nice to check in once in a while, and make sure you haven’t lost the things money can’t buy.
- Be nice. Be kind. Be curious.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website