Raw cacao and orange cake
This is a delicious tea-time recipe, full of nutritional goodness. Raw cacao has many wonderful health benefits that are backed by science, including the potential to promote heart and cardiovascular health. And oranges contain flavonoids and antioxidants. The best best bit about this chocolate cake, however, is the pleasure you will get from eating it.
2 organic oranges
2 cups almond meal
5 organic eggs
1/3 cup raw honey or 100% maple syrup
½ cup raw cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarb powder
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
Fresh fruit for decorating (I used figs, oranges and blueberries)
Yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Grease a large cake tin with some coconut oil and cut out a circle of baking paper for the bottom of the tin. This will prevent your cake from sticking.
- Place whole oranges (with skin) in a large pot of boiling water and simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
- Once oranges are cooked and cooled, cut them in quarters and place them in your food processor.
- Add all the other ingredients to your food processor and blend until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out cleanly from the centre.
- Decorate with fresh fruit and serve. Delicious with natural yoghurt.
- TIP: When using whole fruit (including the skin) use organic produce where you can to prevent any residue chemicals and pesticides from ending up in your cake.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website