Braised chicken and lentils
This rustic French recipe, is not only big on flavour but low in fat and high in protein and fibre. Be sure to use good quality free range chicken, pancetta or smoky bacon and puy lentils are a must. Perfect as a dinner any night of the week or served with green beans or a crisp salad at your next dinner party.
2 x 180g free range chicken breast
3/4 cup puy lentils
500ml natural chicken stock
1 garlic clove
3 sprigs parsley
Start by grouping and preparing your ingredients into each of the components of the dish. Rinse vegetables and herbs.
- Prepare the lentils by placing them in a heatproof bowl and covering them with boiling water.
- Peel and finely dice the carrot, crush the garlic and finely slice the leek, pancetta and parsley.
- Place the chicken breast in a bowl and combine with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bring a large pot to medium heat and grill the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Use a heavy based pot if you have one.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Using the same pot, add a drizzle of oil along with the pancetta and cook for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, carrots, leek, 3/4 parsley and zest of the lemon. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the lentils, add them to the pot and stir them through the vegetables. Cook for a further minute.
- Add stock and season with pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into large chunks and return to the pot with the lentils and vegetables. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and finish with the remaining parsley and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Special Offer: Enter the code GET30OFF at The Cook’s Grocer online checkout to receive a $30 discount OFF your first order.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website