Comfort food fix: bolognese and roasted pumpkin
If the cold weather is making you crave comfort food, this is the perfect go to recipe. It’s quick, easy and affordable and packed with vegetables. It also works well with lamb or kangaroo mince. Serves 2-4.
400-500g grass fed beef mince
1 tbs coconut oil/ghee/butter/lard/tallow
1/3 cup bone broth/stock
1 bunch coriander (stalked and roughly chopped)
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, de seeded and finely chopped
2 cans tomatoes
1/2 cup passata
2 tsp smokey paprika
1 tsp cocao
1 tsp caraway seeds, smash in pestle and mortar
1 tsp cumin
Handful field mushroom, roughly chopped
2 carrots, chopped
Sea salt to taste
1/2 pumpkin, seeds removed
2 tsp mixed spiced
2 tbs tallow/ghee/coconut oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Slice the pumpkin into 2 cm slices and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add the fat and spices and toss until spices coat the pumpkin. Season with salt. Place in the oven for 30-40 mins or until soft and golden.
- In a pan heat the fat on a medium heat, add the onion, garlic and coriander stalks. Cook until the onions begin to soften. Add the spices and chilli and cook for a minute more. Turn the heat to high, add the mince, turning until the mince has browned.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, broth, passata, carrots, mushrooms and cocao. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and serve with the bolognese.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website