Healthy chocolate brownies Gluten-free, refined-sugar free
If you have a sweet tooth but are trying to be healthy for the new year, these are your go-to brownies. Yams (or sweet potatoes, whatever your fancy) make it sweet and dense, and creator of the recipe, Carla McMillan, resident healthy cook at Bodypass, suggests serving with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt and berries for extra punch.
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup raw cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
1/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1 large yam, cooked in the oven until soft, skin removed
3 eggs, yolks
3 egg whites whisked
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
- Wrap the yam in foil and roast in a 180 degree oven for an hour.
- Scrape out the flesh of the yam and discard the skin.
- Put all the ingredients except the egg whites into a food processor and combine.
- Whisk the egg white till they form peaks.
- Fold into the rest of the mix.
- Pour into a lined baking dish and cook in a 180 deg oven for 30 minutes.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website