Lamb and eggplant moussaka with green salad
This recipe gives this traditional, Greek dish the ultimate healthy makeover. By replacing the white sauce with low fat cheeses and baking the eggplant you have a low fat, vitamin rich, fibre packed moussaka that is light, healthy and comforting.
Serves 2. 40 minutes.
300g lean lamb mince
1 eggplant (300g)
1 small brown onion
1 small carrot
2 cloves of garlic
2 sprigs oregano leaves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
100g buffalo mozzarella (grated)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
70g mixed leaf salad
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Peel and grate carrot, finely chop onion, garlic and oregano leaves.
- Slice eggplant into 1cm thick pieces and place slices on a baking dish lined with nonstick baking paper. Lightly brush with oil, season and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- While eggplant is cooking, heat a medium pan with enough oil to cover the base. Sauté onion, carrot and garlic until soft (approx. 4 minutes).
- Add lamb mince, nutmeg and tomato paste, season with salt and pepper and brown, breaking it up as it cooks for 3 – 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a non-stick baking tray, layer cooked eggplant slices to cover base. Top with half of the mince, then 1/3 of the cheese. Add a layer of eggplant, mince and 1/3 of the cheese. Lastly, add a final layer of the eggplant and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is golden.
- Make the salad by roughly chopping the tomato and combine in a bowl with the mixed leaf lettuce. Add red wine vinegar, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve Moussaka on plate with salad.
Have this meal delivered
Each week Good Food and The Cook’s Grocer partner with Sydney’s top restaurants, chefs, nutritionists and cookbook authors to design a new menu of 30 minute, ready to cook meals.
All meals are delivered to your door with easy to follow recipes and market fresh ingredients, perfectly portioned to ensure there is no waste. All you need is olive oil, salt and pepper.
Get $30 off your first order with code: GOODFOOD
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website