Lemon-scented pancakes with berries and cashew cream
The lemon zest in the pancake batter is a winner; it really lifts the dish and I love the smooth, rich texture of the maple cream resulting from the blended young coconut and cashews.
125 ml maple syrup
125 ml passionfruit juice
125 ml passionfruit pulp
60 ml lime juice
Cashew maple cream
140 g raw cashews
125 g sliced young coconut meat
160 g maple syrup
2 tbsp cacao butter
2tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
125 g wholemeal flour
100 g unbleached flour
20 g wheatgerm
60 g powdered coconut pal sugar (or organic brown sugar)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Zest of 1 lemon
1 pinch sea salt
2 eggs, separated
75 ml sunflower oil (plus extra for cooking)
375 ml almond nut milk
370 g blueberries
3 whole bananas peeled, cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise
9 strawberries cut in half
12 viola herb or other edible flowers (optional)
- For the passionfruit syrup, place the maple syrup and passionfruit juice in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and stir in the passionfruit pulp and lime juice. Cool slightly, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the cashew maple cream, place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water and leave to stand for 2 hours. Drain and rinse, then place in a blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until well combined and the consistency is smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the wholemeal pancakes, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil and milk together. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking until smooth.
- n a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Using a large rubber spatula, fold one-third of the egg whites into the batter to loosen the mixture, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until incorporated. Cover and leave to stand in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 blini pans, or place 2 ring moulds, each 12cm/5 inches across, in a large frying pan and brush with a little sunflower oil. Add 100ml (scant ½ cup) of the pancake mix to each pan (or ring) and cook over a medium heat until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn over and cook until golden brown on the other side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining pancake batter.
- To serve, add the blueberries to the passionfruit syrup in a small saucepan and heat gently until warmed through. Place one wholemeal pancake in the centre of each plate and top with a piece of banana and half the berries. Spoon the passionfruit syrup over each pancake, scatter with the herb flowers, if liked, then finish with a quenelle of maple cream.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website