Salmon with Indian spiced rice
This is Carla McMillian’s take on the classic British dish, Kedgeree (Indian spiced rice with fish). Carla recommends that, where possible, you use fresh Australian salmon, free range or organic eggs, good quality spices and freshly sourced vegetables. This dish is perfect for weeknight dinners or a weekend brunch.
2 x 160g salmon fillets
3/4 cup long grain rice
2 free range eggs
100g green beans
1 brown onion
3 sprigs coriander
1 long red chilli
2 teaspoon ground curry powder
2 teaspoon ground turmeric
0.5 teaspoon mild chilli powder
- Start by grouping and preparing your ingredients into each of the components of the dish. Rinse vegetables and herbs.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC on fan bake. Season salmon with olive oil and salt. Place salmon skin side down on a lined baking tray on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 8 minutes. Once cooled, flake into chunks and put aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil. With a spoon, place room temperature eggs into boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and place in a cup and run under cold water for a couple of minutes. Crack shells gently and peel carefully. Cut into halves.
- Finely dice the onion. Top and tail then halve the beans. Finely chop the chilli (to taste)
- Mix spice mix with 600ml of hot water and put aside.
- Place a pan with a lid on a medium to high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Pour spice mix water over, stir and bring to boil. Cover then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and stir. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Serve rice onto plates. Top with salmon and eggs.
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website