Vegetarian brown fried rice with cashews and broccoli
Brown rice is great for frying because it’s firm texture means you can use it straight after cooking (white rice is best chilled over night). This healthy and delicious vegetarian recipe combined broccoli, onion, snow peas and egg with nutty brown rice, cashews and is finished with fried eschalots.
30 Minutes. Serves 2.
2 free range eggs
1 tablespoon fried eschalot
1 cup brown rice
2 spring onions
1/3 cup cashews
1 broccoli head
1 cup snow peas
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Place rice in a medium pot with 2 cups of cold tap water and bring to the boil. When
water starts to boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or
until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, cover and let
stand for a further five to 10 minutes until done. Fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the vegetables. Remove the florets from the broccoli. Top and tail the snow peas then cut into 2cm pieces. Finely slice the spring onions.
- Heat a fry pan or wok to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Beat eggs and season with salt and pepper. When the wok is hot add the egg and cook until half set. Flip and cook the other side of the egg. Remove from heat. Break egg into small pieces, remove from wok and set aside.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a wok or pan and bring to a high heat. Add veg and stir-fry for two minutes. Add premix sauce and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the rice, spring onions, cashews and egg. Stir-fry for one to two minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place in bowls and sprinkle over fried eschalot.
Have this meal delivered
Each week Good Food and The Cook’s Grocer partner with Sydney’s top restaurants, chefs, nutritionists and cookbook authors to design a new menu of 30 minute, ready to cook meals. All meals are delivered to your door with easy to follow recipes and market fresh ingredients, perfectly portioned to ensure there is no waste. All you need is olive oil, salt and pepper.
Get $30 off your first order with code: GOODFOOD
Liked this? Read these!
Got something to say? Get it off your chest here
The Juice Daily is a Fairfax Media owned website